Storm....a very fitting name for her stormy personality


I got Storm almost nine years ago. To put it nicely, Adam was not thrilled. He came home one night and we had a cat. I had been working for Hal, and one of his hygenist's had kittens. I was watching her girls one day a week, and had known the kittens from when their eyes were still closed. When it was time for them to find homes, I wanted one. BAD. But, the girls were so sad, that I let them pick out the one I would take. They opted for the one who wouldn't cuddle with them. They called her "orange face".
I didn't really consult with Adam about getting Storm (Or even tell him, it was a little bit of a surprise.) Adam is not much of a pet person. I on the other hand, contributed to many animals in my parents house. Storm didn't really know how to not use her claws, no matter what I tried. So, we decided to have her declawed. It was on the morning I was taking her to the vet, that I fell down the stairs of our apartment complex. Karma, I know.
From the very beginning Storm had quite the personality. We would sometimes put her in "timeout". At one point, Adam called me at work saying that she was acting strangely. But, when I was home with her I didn't notice anything. He said this a few times when he would be alone with her. One night, I finally witnessed it. Adam was in the kitchen, and Storm was rubbing ALL over him, sticking her butt up, and meowing in a way only a cat in heat can. I started laughing SO hard!!! When I told him what she was doing, he about kicked her out of the house (He did put her on the back porch.) He was so grossed out, because she followed him everywhere, and it had been going on for like a week. Needless to say we got her "fixed".
I also believe Storm has Bipolar disease. Once when I took her to the vet, I mentioned it jokingly, and he was totally serious and said she probably was. What? Well, it made a lot of sense. She has been dubbed by Derric as "pet cemetary" and many people have been trapped in a hallway or room by her. She barks like a dog at Cory, she doesn't have claws but that doesn't stop her from hitting. One of our friends little girls had cornered her, and she turned around and said,"Storm gave me five, Daddy!" She fakes at being nice when people come over. She will rub up against their leg, but when they go to pet her she attacks them. She will lay in the middle of a room full of people, on her back with her tail tucked up her stomache. It is hilarious. She wants to be with everyone, but does not want to be bothered.
My mom loves cats, and can't stand that Storm will have nothing to do with her. After one of my back surgeries my mom and I were laying on my bed, with the cat between us. My mom started petting her, and couldn't believe Storm was letting her...and purring!! That was until she turned and saw it was my Mom petting her and not me. She immediately hissed, jumped and lashed out at the same time. It was hilarious.
Adam has come to love her in his own way. He loves that she is so fiesty. And, he is even the one who does her kitty litter. He isn't happy about it, but from the back problems, to pregnancies...I just got used to him doing it.
The kids have just barely begun to want to pet her. And, she actually lets them sometimes. She probably would more, if they didn't pester her so much. But, they have too much of their dad in them.
I, on the other hand have a love/hate relationship with her. After I fell, and eventually became housebound, Storm was my best friend. We totally had a sytem of how we sat on the couch together. Adam was working, and going to school full time, so I hardly ever saw him. I couldn't really go anywhere, so Storm was my only companion. I would eat Starbursts, and when I wadded up the wrapper and threw it, Storm would jump for it and then bring it back. She totally fetches like a dog. She also begs at the table like a dog. She loves to eat cheese, carmel corn, fruit roll-ups, eggs and more. She is very persistant about it, too. She also likes to bite my feet. I will be sitting with my feet on the ottoman, and all of a sudden she attacks!!! She bites hard too. The funny thing is that she will immediately run away, because she know I will throw a pillow at her. Hence the love/hate thing. I also have scars on my legs from when she is sitting on my lap, then jumps off. She digs her back claws in, and it hurts. Sometimes, when she is pissy and I am just standing there, she will back up onto my foot with her back feet and dig her claws into my foot!! She's no dummy. She knows where her weapons are!!
She also loves to snuggle with me. She will sleep right next to me(if I let her) and lay her head on my shoulder, or chest. If I am laying on the couch, she will lay next to me and will let me wrap my arm around her and bring her closer. She knows when I am sad, and will stay close and be nice. Sometimes if I stop petting her, she will lick me until I start again. She will let anyone pet her if I am holding her. She is my cat. I love her. I love her crazy personality. Storm is one of a kind.

4 comments:

ABSOLUTELY NORMAL CHAOS said...

I think you are CRAZY!!!

Jen said...

um.....no comment ;)

Amanda said...

Yeah, the cat is nuts. I just try to stay as far away from her as possible (or I did, when we lived by you!).

Jenny said...

Ahh Jen, you are just miffed 'cause she trapped you upstairs for 10 minutes!!!